I’ve been marketing stuff online for over 12 years now full time. In internet time, that’s a LONG time.
I’ve seen all kinds of wiz bang courses about how to make money online.
Many of them are great courses that contain good information about this tactic or that tactic.
So today, I want to simplify how to make a living online for you by backing up to the 10,000 foot level.
At a very high level, all you really need is two things to succeed online.
The first thing you need is to…
…”Build An Audience!”
It’s the first and foremost important thing you can do to be successful.
Build an audience of people that know how you are, that trust what you say, and that remember you.
Carrie Wilkerson calls it, “filling your stadium.”
The first rule of marketing is to get people’s attention and the second rule is to get them to listen to what you have to say.
If you want to get paid for life from your internet marketing activities, you first and foremost have to build an audience.
…Two Ways To Build Your Audience Online.
The FIRST way to build your audience online is by creating awesome CONTENT.
Not ordinary content, but awesome content that gets indexed, shared, talked about, referred, and passed around.
Content so good that Google, Bing, and Yahoo will place it at the top of their search engines.
Your content can take many shapes, forms and sizes.
Your content can be in the form of…
1. Blog posts (like this one)
2. Special reports
4. Audio or podcasts
5. Survey results
6. Graphics like infographics
7. Breaking news
8. Product or service reviews
There are a myriad of ways to produce your content, but the one key ingredient is that it needs to be interesting, shocking, educational, or fun.
It Needs To Be Shareworthy.
Sometimes we call this content marketing or education-based marketing.
Great Examples of Content Marketing Are…
1. MarketingProfs – They’ve built a huge following through providing great content. The majority of their content is created by their users.
2. Hubspot – Hubspot produces a huge amount of content and uses every way imaginable to spread it out on the internet.
3. Copyblogger – This blog produces great content from guest writers and their internal team, which produces a huge amount of leads for their products.
4. Kissmetrics – This companies uses guest blog posting as their primary content marketing strategy. You’ll see a lot of their posts on other blogs.
5. Marketo – This company, like Hubspot, generates an enormous about of traffic with their content.
These are just a few examples of great content marketers. I could name many more companies and individuals who focus on creating and spreading great content to build an audience.
The SECOND way to build your audience is through ADVERTISING.
By that I mean, you pay to get the opportunity to gain people’s attention.
Paid advertising can come in the form of…
1. Pay per click ads
- With PPC ads you pay when people click on your ad. Google Adwords, Bing and Facebook have PPC ad networks.
2. Pay per view ads
- With PPV ad you pay when a number of people view your ad. Google Disply Network, Facebook ads and banner ad networks use the PPV model.
3. Direct site buy ads
- This involves going directly to the owner of the site and buying ad space from them.
4. Text link ads
- You can buy text links on major sites through text link brokers with text link ads.
5. Solo ads
- This involves buying ads in email newsletters or from email list owners.
There’s a lot of ways to buy advertising online and a myriad of tools to help you do it.
The single most important element to buying advertising online is having a funnel that converts a prospect into a buyer so that you can afford to buy the advertising.
These are the two major ways to build an audience, content marketing and advertising.
Okay, building an audience is the first step to succeeding online.
The second step sounds crazy simple, but it is undeniably critical.
Give Your Audience Exactly What They Want!
Yes, again that sounds simple.
But it’s amazing just how simple marketing becomes when a truly great product hits the market.
I’m reminded of this every time I visit the local Apple store.
The place is ALWAYS crammed with people that are fanatics about Apple products.
Every time I go in that store I buy something.
So, to give your audience what they want, you have to KNOW what it is they want.
There are lots of ways to do this.
1. Conduct online surveys
2. Call up and interview happy customers
3. Call up and interview disgruntled customers
3. Do customer focus groups
4. See what products they’re buying from your competitors
5. Notice buying trends in other markets
6. Scour discussion boards, Facebook groups, Twitter feeds, forums and your own help desk files for frustrations
Always be looking for unmet needs in your market.
When you find them, either create a product that meets their needs or find a product that you can promote that meets their needs.
An Important Suggestion…
Here’s a very important suggestion or piece of advice that I wish someone had given to me when I was starting out online.
Always, always, always try to SUBSCRIPTION BASED products and services that satisfy your market’s unmet needs.
You’ve heard me say this before and I’ll continue to harp on this principle.
Subscription based products will generate a predictable income stream for you and create wealth.
Finding success online is as simple as building an audience and giving that audience what they want.
You should start building your audience right NOW.
You can monetize your audience later on when you either create or find products that fill their unmet needs.
To your continued success.
P.S. The absolute BEST ebook I’ve ever read on the topic of online success is, “Make Your Site Sell.” It came out several years ago, but it’s all applicable today as it was when it first came out.
And best of all…it’s free. You can download it for free from this web page right now.