I know this may shock you, but I’m NOT the sharpest tool in the shed. Sometimes it takes me a long time to catch onto things. For instance, John Jantsch of Duct Tape Marketing called me up about four years ago and offered to help me start a blog.
I said, “Sure, why not.” So I started writing some posts and then got lazy and quit. That was my blogging experience.
Boy, I Missed the Boat BIG TIME.
Blogging is one of “THE” best ways to drive website traffic. The search engines LOVE great blog content. And communities love good blogs too. Think about some of the most visited sites on the internet, many of them are blogs.
Here’s the Top 10 Blogs On the Net
1. HuffingtonPost – 28,000,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
2. TMZ – 17,000,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
3. engadget – 11,500,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
4. PerezHilton – 9,000,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
5. Gizmodo – 8,900,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
6. Mashable – 7,000,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
7. TechCrunch – 6,500,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
8. Gawker – 4,500,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
9. lifehacker – 4,400,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
10. FanHouse – 4,350,000 Unique Monthly Visitors
Now, that’s a lot of unique visitors!
The Secret To Getting Blog Traffic…
…is (drum roll please) combining it with SOCIAL MEDIA.
Now, there’s another trend that I’ve been very slow to pick up on. When you combine your blog with social media, what you get is a ton of VIRAL TRAFFIC (or “referred” traffic)!
In the offline world, prospects that come from referrals are the BEST form of prospects. They buy faster. They stay longer. They buy more. In the online world, it’s the SAME.
Referred traffic is the best form of website traffic.And social media makes that possible. So when you combine awesome content from your blog with the viral power or social media, you get TONS OF TARGETED TRAFFIC.
To learn about marketing your blog check out this interview with blog marketing guru Denise Wakeman. She shares her viral blogging system which enables you to virally spread your content throughout the web.